Minutes of HCMC Meeting 1st May 2018
Chieftain Hotel, Inverness
Chairman Emma Hall.
The meeting commenced at 8.10pm.
28 members present.
Apologies: Andy Watt, Mark Bruce.
1. MINUTES OF APRIL MEETING – MATTERS ARISING – None.
2. NEW MEMBERS – None but one prospective new member present.
3. EMAILS & LETTERS RECEIVED
a. From Peter MacDonald regarding the Loch Ness Classic and Vintage Car Tour on 9th June organised by the Rotary Club of Inverness. They are raising funds for the charity Children 1st and the Rotary Club Charity Account. A number of members gave sponsorship during the meeting.
1. April 7th & 8th – MCN Scottish Motorcycle Show, Edinburgh. Ralph Pickthall and Colin Craig attended and reported that although some big names were absent – Ducati, Honda – it was an excellent show for anyone interested in classic motorcycles and worth the £17 entry fee (+£5 for the car park). Bob Bull said that the cost was nil by bus as the bus stop was inside the show perimeter it seems.
Colin’s Norton was awarded a ‘Highly Commended’.
2. April 8th – VMCC Central Classic & Vintage Motorcycle Show Forfar. Andy Loosemore was there; he reported that HCMC member #1 was there – Alistair Alexander – and is now the President of the VMCC. Budgie had a stall. It was a good show.
3. 24th May – Inverness Bike Night – apparently bikes went to the appointed place in Drumnadrochit – where exactly is not recorded as your secretary wasn’t paying attention at this point – but were allowed a hot drink and told that was it. They have therefore moved to a different place in the village – again not recorded but Drumnadrochit isn’t very big so shouldn’t be hard to find. Bike night every Tuesday at 6pm.
4. 29th April – Club run – Inverness to Beauly Priory. 24 members were on this run which went from Tesco’s in Inverness past Mitchell’s on to Cannich and back to Beauly. One took a different route through Inverness and several smaller bikes went straight to Beauly but all met up eventually. Bert’s Matchless (Model 30?) unfortunately suffered a seizure; there were 2 matchless bikes on the run so either could have been the most interesting and oldest bike there. It was a lovely sunny day perfect for a classic run although a little chilly on the high ground on the way to Cannich.
5. FORTHCOMING EVENTS
a.5th May – Vintage Motorcycle Club NE girder fork run at Clatt Village Hall.
b.6th May – Forres Theme Day at Grant Park.
c.6th May – Glasgow & Vintage Vehicle Trust Open Day ay Bridgeton Bus Garage, Glasgow.
d.6th May – Lothian & Borders Classic & Vintage Motorcycle Club show and autojumble at Peebles.
e.12th May – Inverness BID Classic Vehicle Show.
f.13th May – Grampian Classic Motorcycle Club Cairn o’ Mount Run.
g.13th May – Caithness Classic Motorcycle Club rally & Run Staxigoe Village Hall.
h.19th May – HCMC Small Bike Run from Inverness around the Black Isle. This is a slower run.
i.19th & 20th May- -BA Vintage Country Fair at Lyne of Skene.
j.20th May – VMCC Clyde Valley & Stirling Branches Tiddlers’ Tootle at Tullibardine Distillery.
k.20th May – South of Scotland Veteran and Vintage Vehicle Club annual open run from Dumfries town centre.
l.26th May – HCMC 35th anniversary BBQ & camping event, Nairn. See below for details.
m.27th May – club run Inverness Tesco to Ullapool. Meet 9.50am at camping venue (see below) or 10.50am at Tesco Inverness.
n.27th May – VMCC Auld Reekie Scottish Demob Run, Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway.
o.3rd June – Ride Sunday Charity Event. Details on Facebook and at www.ridesunday.com
p.5th June – Club meeting at Chieftain Hotel.
q.9th June – Rotary Club of Inverness Loch Ness Classic Car Tour.
r.10th June – HCMC 35th Loch Ness Rally from Fairways, Inverness.
6. ANNIVERSARY BBQ & CAMPING
The BBQ starts at approx. 7.00pm and the venue is Dairy Cottage, Auchnacloich Farm, Nairn, IV12 5QF – going east on A96 first turn left after Sainsburys and going west on A96 first turn right after the Auldearn crossroads turn off.
It would help to get an idea of numbers but don’t worry too much. You can just turn up. Please bring something for the BBQ and if you would like a drink bring that as well. You don’t have to camp; if you would just like to pop along for the BBQ that’s absolutely fine.
7. CHAIRMAN’S CHALLENGE 2018
Neil has been in touch with the Imperial War Museum who keep a register of war memorials and it seems that there are quite a few memorials for which they don’t have current photos. If you would be interested in taking photos of some of these to help with their records please let Neil know and he can supply a copy of the list. They want photos of memorials without bikes in the picture.
Note that this is a purely altruistic effort outside the actual aim of the Chairman’s Challenge which is to win by taking loads of photos of memorials with figures on them with your bike alongside.
Teams so far:
Chairman’s Team Vice-chairman’s Team
Emma Hall Cliff Piper
Dode Fraser Neil Ellison
Malcolm Davidson Andy Loosemore
Peter MacDonald Bill Steven
Inus le Roux John Roelich
John Williams Colin Rose
—————— Chris Steel
8. AOB – None.
The meeting ended at 8.42pm.
Bill Steven entertained the members with a talk on his visit and month’s stay at Kedesh Santuario in 2017. Kedesh Santuario is in Mozambique and is a refuge for orphaned boys and latterly girls providing a safe and stable environment and education and stable home.
Prepared by M Davidson